Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mommy Money Sense!

Here's a simple suggestion from one mommy to all the others out there. I decided to get crafty before my little one was even a thought. I went out and spent $40 on a canning set by Ball.

My family plants an insane garden every year that overflows with fruits and veggies, so one year I took that canning set and made all types of preserves, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, zucchini & squash sticks, pie filling, etc. You name it, I made it. Granted this was in small test batches, but it worked amazingly.

Regardless of whether you have your own garden, or buy from your local produce stand or market, most of your fruits and veggies are going to be cheaper in the spring and summer when they are in season.

My recommendation, CAN, CAN CAN! When it comes to feeding babies, big families, big kids, anyone; you can't go wrong with canning up tomatoes, sauces, pie fillings, jams and preserves, anything! It will save so much money in the long run then buying everything pre-made, packaged, and out of season.

This topic comes about because it's on my list of things to do in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to start with preserves. They're so easy to make, and the house always smells amazing after!

Happy Eating! This little monster loves to eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment